Rachel Chan Memorial Grant
About the Grant
The Rachel Chan Memorial Grant offers funding to FLA members in the form of a grant of up to $500.00.
The Rachel Chan Memorial Grant is named in honour of a former University of Calgary Librarian and FLA Executive member. She passed away in 2010, to the regret and sadness of many in the library community. Whether one knew her from Western Ontario Library School, working with her at the University of Calgary or through the Foothills Library Association she was universally loved and adored. She was a vital and committed member of the FLA Executive from the time she joined the association. Even more than her service to the local library community though she is remembered for her remarkable disposition, always positive and cheerful, with a smile that could light a room.
The library community lost one of its best with Rachel’s passing. It is the FLA’s hope that this grant might in some small way bring a fraction of the joy and benefit to the profession that Rachel would have.
Jerremie Clyde, FLA President 2010-2011
On behalf of the FLA Executive
Purpose of the Grant
The grant assists those FLA members with limited or no access to funding to attend a library conference related to their work. The grant may be applied to cover registration fees, accommodation and/or travel to the conference.
Please read and address the following information in your application.
To qualify for the grant all applicants:
- Must be a current FLA member in good standing,
- May not be members of the FLA Executive,
- Agree to submit eligible receipts from the conference within two weeks of their return,
- Agree to write a short summary of your experience to be shared with FLA members.
In reviewing all applications, priority will be given to those who:
- Receive little or no funding, e.g. employer-paid grants, grants from other library associations, etc.,
- Have not attended a professional conference in the past two years,
- Will be presenting at the conference, and
- Have previously served on the FLA executive.
The grant amount will be awarded upon presentation of proof of expenses to the FLA Treasurer.
For more information, please contact the FLA Vice-President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.